To join me on a virtual sketching trip, download a travel sketch-journal here.
I add tutorials to them so you can learn the techniques and details you see in the sketchbooks.

My former workshop students asked me to upload my workshop workbooks to make them available to everyone. So you can also download a workbook and give yourself a workshop! Enjoy!


Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sit Spot Ear Envy

Humans have such duh ears! I am really jealous of wildlife who have decent sound detectors. In fact, I spent one whole session meditating, journaling and sketching about our rotten ears and my Do-It-Yourself invention to put us humans on a slightly more level playing field.

Here is the journal page for your enjoyment. I hope it gives you a giggle, because I had a lot of fun creating it.

Of course, as I was sitting out in the woods at the time I did it, I looked up (and listened up!) frequently to make sure I wasn't missing anything. And since it was a VERY quiet day, without any passing-through deer or brouhaha in the bird world overhead, and with nothing but mosquitoes pestering me, I had plenty of time to devote to this important page.

So, click on the image to get a readable size, and I beg of you, experiment with your ears for a few minutes to find out what I'm talking about ~ and then maybe even make yourself a decent 'Earing Aid as shown. NOTE: If you are a Grown-Up, abandon your dignity and try this.

All you need is one or two yogurt containers or paper cups, a pair of scissors, and some glasses ~ an old pair of specs without any lenses in them will work just fine. If you (or your kid) wear glasses, you have an instant advantage.







Cut the cup as shown, flatten it on the side that will go next to your head (a paper cup would have the advantage here, but you can just lightly squash a plastic yogurt cup with pretty good results) hook it over your ear, and slide the glasses on, poking the earpiece THROUGH the big end of the cup and out the "bottom."

And then, go outside and play. It's a lot of fun, and if you have kids, they'll have a blast with it! Especially if you do it with them. Try whispering to each other across the yard. How far away can you hear a whisper?

7 comments:

winna said...

YOU BET I'LL TRY THIS !
What a wonderfully interesting and good to see post--you are an absolute Wizard of Wonder !

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful - how inventive you are! I can imagine people all over the world reading your blog and trying this out...

Carin Winkelman said...

I had to smile to see that you actually made the contraption you thought up in your journal. Looks like you had fun!

Suzanne said...

I'm sitting here in my miseries this morning after 3 weeks of 1)kidney infection then 2) a cold and sinus infection and bronchitis and 3)on Monday an old root canal blew up and here I am with a swollen jaw awaiting surgery... that's the first time I've laughed in weeks! I love the idea of the swiveling hearing aid attached to the eyeglasses! You might want to patent this while I go get a "hearing cup" to play with! Thanks for the smiles, and I love your blog and watch for it regularly. ~ Suzanne

Irene Brady said...

You guys are so sweet! It's really fun that you enjoyed that post. I should post my next invention, as well ~ my mosquito net contraption. It's wizard! Susanne, I am so delighted to have given you a happy moment amongst your trials and tribulations. I wish you happier days and fewer swellings and jimjams.
Love to you all,
Renie

1artsychick said...

I just giggled and giggled at this. What a grand imagination! I have to wear hearing aids, and kept thinking...well, you see, they made them all wrong!
Thank you for making me laugh...and I enjoyed the drawings too.
wendy

Irene Brady said...

Back in the REALLY olden days, people used something they called an ear trumpet. I've seen pictures of them, old engravings published in ancient magazines and catalogs.

The ear trumpet was a huge funnel-shaped thing you poked into one ear and aimed at the sound. I didn't make the connection until after I'd "invented" my new ears. Ah well....

Here's a grab-bag of other entries...

Related Posts with Thumbnails