To join me on a virtual sketching trip, download a travel sketch-journal here.
I add tutorials to them so you can learn the techniques and details you see in the sketchbooks.

My former workshop students asked me to upload my workshop workbooks to make them available to everyone. So you can also download a workbook and give yourself a workshop! Enjoy!


Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jocelyn's Journal from the Costa Rica Workshop

Jocelyn Curry, who attended my recent Costa Rica Workshop at El Remanso Wildlife Lodge on the Osa Peninsula, has graciously given me permission to show you her journal (which she says is still not quite finished).

This is a beautiful book, and while Jocelyn did indeed take the class and gain new skills and ideas from it, she already was an accomplished artist with many years of art, commercial calligraphy, and journaling experience before attending the course.

The workshop did offer ideas, assignments and instruction which influenced the journal's direction and final appearance. But I am fully aware that I can take only a small amount of credit for the pleasing results. A note about the cover (the first image below), this is the front of the journal. A matching flap, a continuation of the back cover, folded around about two inches over the front (along the right edge) as a closure.

Be sure to click on the thumbnails to see Jocelyn's beautiful journal pages close-up!





































































































































This workshop will be held again in July, same place, same general format, except that instead of calligraphy I will be teaching a fun "Vacation Font" with which to title pages and sketches. I'll be creating a new page with the new workshop information as the date approaches, which you can access from here. Also, be sure to check out my other workshops here. I'm adding more dates as I book workshops, with an especially fun one coming up in October at the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker City, Oregon.

8 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Irene, thank you for honoring my work by creating a "blog gallery" from my journal! I would have loved a second week at El Remanso so that I could continue drawing and painting on site...on the beach...in the cabina...in the Adirondack chair on our porch...while walking the many trails in the jungle... the list could go on.
Jocelyn

Renie said...

Hi Jocelyn,

You are certainly welcome! I appreciate the opportunity to decorate my blog with your delightful journal! Talk about a win/win situation!

Cheers,
Irene

p.s. That sounds just like my list!

Leslie said...

Wow, what a beautiful journal! Looking at these pages and yours, Irene, are so inspiring. Thank you both for sharing!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

this is just wonderful...love it...

Renie said...

Yes, you can see why I wanted to share Jocelyn's journal with everyone.

I don't pretend to be the be-all and end-all of journaling style and content. In fact, I try NOT to impose my style on workshop particpants -- I just offer ideas and techniques they might choose to adapt to their own style (or use as-is if they haven't yet established their own style).

It fascinates me that people I teach side-by-side in these workshops end up with sometimes diametrically opposed results in their journals.

Jocelyn's journal is way different from my style, as were Kathy's and Marilyn's journals, and I LOVE that fact.

Margaret Ann said...

What a delightful way to spend an evening...arm chair travel documented by such a lush beautifully illustrated and written journal. Thanks for the ride... I loved every minute of it!

Renie said...

One of the loveliest things about this kind of journaling is that EVERYone can enjoy your trip. I've spent hours poring over my own old journals, reliving every moment. And I can go back to the journal again months or years later and repeat the trip. Nice.

It's not the same with photos, for some reason. Maybe the human touch is missing?

Dee said...

What a wonderful journal!! I truely enjoyed viewing it. That you both for sharing.

Here's a grab-bag of other entries...

Related Posts with Thumbnails